Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Community

Last night my school held its annual benefit auction. It was a huge success from two standpoints: we raised lots of money to support The Town School and we gathered in a festive atmosphere to celebrate our school community and community of parents.

In a way, the NAIS Annual Conference is also a celebration of community. I spent much of the afternoon and evening connecting with old friends from all the schools where I've worked and my twenty-plus years in this field. We reminisced, told stories of our exploits (good and bad), compared notes on new programs and initiatives, and introduced each other to colleagues, expanding our personal and professional networks.

I remember my first NAIS conference and really being turned off by all the blue blazers. Now I've come to grips with the fact, after all these years, this is an important community in my life. As our students might say, these are "my peeps." You won't catch me in a blue blazer, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment